Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Lately

Hello World!
I told you'd I'd be back.  Took me a few weeks, but I kept true to my promise ;o)
Anyway, I'm putting the final touches on McCartney's last two monthly posts (which are wayyy overdue), as well as typing up how we spent our Halloween (a perfect mid-November post). But, before I share those I thought I'd catch you up on what we've been up to around here these past couple of months.

:: On October 31st, Ben finished his FINAL night of his FINAL night float rotation!  Can I get an amen?  Something about this being the last one was so exciting.  It felt like we were checking off a residency milestone.  To be honest, I've never completely hated night float.  It's always been doable, but it does get lonely.  We miss having him home at night to eat dinner with and watch movies.  We tried our best to go visit him a few times during the week while he was at work, but many of those plans fell through due to emergency surgeries or an abundance of consults.  Such is the life of a resident wife!  But, when we did visit him we always enjoyed it.  Also, kudos to the cook at the hospital who makes the most amazing mushroom Swiss burger I've ever tasted.  Let's face it.  That's the real reason we go.

:: Last month I taught a class on decorating with real pumpkins at one of our local home decor stores in Kansas City.  I taught for them last year and had so much fun, so needless to say I was thrilled when they invited me back.  I wrote a blog about it for the ranch that you can check out right here.

::  That same week I also hosted Craft Night for our residency spouse's group.  It was so much fun! Twelve lovely ladies came to my house and brought with them the most amazing dishes (we've got some seriously good cooks in the group).  I served chicken tortilla soup (so good!)  You can find the recipe I used here.  I didn't follow the directions exactly.  I find that with soups it is pretty safe to do that.  For example,  I like really thick soups so I didn't add as much broth as they recommended.  I also added in some black beans to the mix.  Oh, I also made my own version of Fall Apple Cider Party Punch.  I got so many compliments on it - it's yum yum yummy! As for the craft, we made these cute little pumpercase pumpkins.
Aren't they adorable?

:: Since I last updated, we also celebrated Ben's birthday (well, that was in August, but I never wrote about it) and my birthday.  For Ben's Dirty Thirty, I threw him a poker party with some of his close friends.
My birthday was really low-key since Ben was on night float.  We went out for sushi at one of my favorite resturaunts and then he serenaded me with a gourmet cupcake that he had picked up from a local bakery.

So sweet (him and the cupcake!).
Oh, and my gift was awesome!!!  For my birthday, I finally got a DSLR camera!  I have been drooling over one since we got married and with McCartney joining our family I knew that I needed something better than just my iPhone.  After much research I went with a Nikon D5100 body and a 50 mm 1.8 f-stop "nifty fifty" lens.  I FRICKIN' LOVE IT!  I have so much to learn since I know, oh you know, nothing at all about true photography.  But, I can't wait to improve my skills!

::  In October we also took a trip to one of the local pumpkin patches here in Wichita.  It was a lot of fun to see another pumpkin patch and how they do things.  Plus, I got lots of good ideas to bring to the table for things to add to our pumpkin farm next year.

:: Since I last posted I also redid our office.  You may remember when I first transformed it?  Well, it was a good change back then from what we had.  However, as time went on there were a few things that bothered us about it.  First of all, it stood out like a sore thumb from the rest of the color palette upstairs.  Second of all, while the dark walls were fun it was too much.   Lastly, I actually use the room more than Ben and selfish little me wanted a corner of it for my own work.  So, here is a glimpse at the new look:

:: I have a new favorite show that I am FINALLY caught up on:
Any other Scandal fans out there? I'm obsessed!

:: As you might have guessed, I'm in full-on Christmas mode right now.  I've got about 50% of my shopping done (remember, I'm a nut about it).  My goal is to have the majority of it done by the first week of December so we can avoid the stores and just enjoy the festivities.


So, that's what's been going on around here.  Now Ben is on a rotation where he has been busier than he has been in a long time.  So, McCartney and I are keepin' it real at home.  Speaking of that little munchkin, I've got two belated monthly posts that I will get up today and her 10 month post that I'll be posting ON TIME tomorrow - mark my word!

Until then, I wanna know:
What have you been up to?

~ Kelly Jo

4 comments:

  1. Good to have you back! I want to go to a pumpkin patch each year, and never get around to it. Next fall will be the year! I'll bet you're loving your camera. I need to play with mine again. It's been awhile, and I want to relearn to shoot in manual. One of these days I'll finally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your update! So glad you're back. I just caught up on Scandal too and yes I'm addicted!! And I'm almost done with Christmas shopping as well!! Just a couple more things and then BAM! Done! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much going on for you guys! Can you believe this year is about to end??! What?! I hope your precious little family has an awesome first Christmas!
    PS- I'm not really in to people who arrange marriages for their babies (seems odd to me) but I may try to work my sons way in there for the next 30 years ... she is too, too sweet and I promise to raise my boy to be a gentlemen with qualities that include: respect, adoration, biblical proportions of love and I will make sure he's a great gift giver ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what other people have to say so please comment away! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...